New developments in production technology by innovative forming processes
In order to assure economically and environmental friendly production in the future, constant new and further development of industrial manufacturing processes is inevitable. Main focuses at the PtU herein are hydroforming, incremental forming processes and roll forming technology.
Hydroforming represents an inherent part of research and development activities in process development. New approaches are attempted especially in the fields of elevated temperatures, joining by hydroforming and sheet metal hydroforming. Besides an increase of process stability, an expansion of process limitations as well as improved analytical and numerical representation methods are aimed. Recent developments engage in the application of gas as pressure medium, hydroforming of sheet stringers as well as sophisticated blank parts.
Incremental forming processes enable for an increased flexibility in forming, low forces and the processing of materials which are usually hard to form. By incremental forming technology, technically demanding parts with optimized material properties can by realized. Main focuses in the department process development are spinning, flow turning and rotary swaging. Also the advancement of simulation methods is regarded. Furthermore, the integration of actuators in structures by incremental forming is investigated.
Roll forming technology
New processes based on roll forming are being developed. Besides an improvement of dimensional accuracy, an expansion of the feasible product range is targeted. This is particularly attempted by the development of flexible roll forming as well as by the CRC 666 »Integral sheet metal design with higher order bifurcations«, which focuses on the realization of bifurcated profile structures. Additionally, investigations of roll forming of sheet metal blanks with variable cross section are conducted.
Current research projects:
- Flexible joining of hollow frame structures with hydroforming – HydroFrame
- Development of a segment-hydro-elastic blank holder for the deep drawing process
- Hydroforming of sheet stringers in integral design
- Untersuchung zur Erhöhung der Profilgenauigkeit bei höher- und höchstfesten Stählen
- Grundlagen des Spaltbiegens (Teilprojekt des SFB 666)
- Extension of ascertained process limitations of linear flow splitting (SFB 666)
- Preform for internal high-pressure forming (IHPF) by flexible roll forming
- Development of novel light weight profiles for automotive industries by roll forming high strength tailor rolled blanks
- Investigation of the material properties during hot hydroforming
- Production of UFG materials by rotary swaging